View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 03:24 AM   #17
SportsorDeath
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: T.J.'s Time Machine - R.B.I. Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
RBI was so much fun back then. I also played a ton of Bases Loaded. Paste and Bay used to tear it up on the New Jersey team.

TJ: you're right about how today games are held to a higher standard. In some ways I agree that they should be scrutinized as we are paying more for the games, and thus, expect more. But, we've also lost that youthful innocence along the way. As you mentioned, bugs in games we played as youths didn't bother us. As long as the overall experience was enjoyable, that's all that mattered. I think we need to go back to that mentality when it comes to how we view games.
If you're old enough to have played 20+ years of different baseball video games, it is simply impossible to "go back" to that mentality. The reason we have lost that innocence is because a lot of us got in pretty much on the ground floor, so to speak, of baseball gaming, and have gone through 20 or more years worth of technological advancement in the games. Everyone always loves to wax nostalgic about all the great games of yore (myself included), but if you really think back, some of this "loss of innocence" could have been applied even then. Look at the difference between something like Atari Real Sports Baseball and RBI or Bases Loaded. Do you believe that, after playing the latter two titles, most people would have accepted a baseball game that came out afterwards with graphics and gameplay akin to the Atari game? Methinks not. As the technology of the baseball games progressed and matured, so did our expectations for them.

The games were a hell of a lot simpler then, but our minds and experiences with the games were a hell of a lot simpler to match them. It goes hand in hand.

Last edited by SportsorDeath; 03-07-2008 at 03:29 AM.