View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
BlyGilmore
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: The Most Important Baseball Stat?

I agree Joe. That's part of the problem i have with strict SABR folks - they completely take the humans out of the equation and instead see everything as numbers.

sure - lineups don't matter if your game plan is completely devoid of any tactics or strategy. but add those and its a different story.

The teams that are going to be successful are the teams that marry the traditional points of view with the SABR points of view. In a lot of ways this is what the Red Sox have done - taking some of the SABR teachings but applying them to more traditional beliefs.

Personally I think that's why for all their success the A's never did much in the playoffs. Their entire team was built almost like a softball team, with players who had no real skills other than being patient, working the count and having some pop in their bats.

Over a season, everything evened out and more times than not this was an advantage. But when you get into the playoffs you don't have the luxury of time. You don't always have the ability to just wait until next inning - sometimes the difference between winning and losing is manufacturing runs.

Take Game 4 in the 2004 ALCS. A strict SABR team wouldn't have won that game. Roberts never would have stolen second because stats tell you its not a safe gamble - he's more likely to score not stealing over time than he is by stealing and risking getting thrown out. Hell - a player like Roberts might not have even been on that team.