View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 04:26 AM   #1816
baa7
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

A few examples of poor/sloppy programming in this game:

-- I fire up my first game without touching sliders. The CPU proceeds to hit 8 HR's with the first 10 batters it sends to the plate. The infamous meat pitch programming, wow. And this is supposed to be 2K's sim answer to The Bigs?

-- After a few innings of batting, I notice the CPU seems to be throwing nothing but strikes. So I decide to test things out. I fire up a game against a certain team and pitcher. The CPU pitcher starts the game off by throwing 9 pitches for strikes, and my guys go down in order.

So I adjust the sliders, lowering all three AI Throw Strike sliders to 0. I fire up another game and the CPU pitcher proceeds to throw 9 pitches for strikes, mowing my guys go down in order.

So now I go in and edit that same CPU pitcher's Strikeout, BB and individual pitch control ratings to 0. This guy should be throwing nothing but balls and wild pitches. Result: strikes out the side on 11 pitches. This is basically the game killer for me, this bit of (non)programming.

-- A little thing but so indicative of the how this game plays overall: At the end of a play - say, a 6-3 groundout - the players often just disappear. That's the transition scene into the next batter. You're watching the batter running to first. You see the ball as it comes across the diamond, and you see the first baseman catch it and the ump call the runner out. Then the scene freezes for 1-2 seconds while the players vanish - they're suddenly not there anymore all. You can still see their shadows on the field, but no players.

Last edited by baa7; 03-10-2008 at 05:49 AM.