View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
yamabushi
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Human vs. AI, Is there Really a Difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
The unpredictability of a human opponent can cut both ways. On 4th and 25 on their own 20, you know the cpu will punt. Do you know this against a human? For a player seeking realism, a human opponent consistently 'cheesing' or doing plain dumb things can ruin a game.

A human opponent can go outside the realm of common practice and unwritten rules in sports games for better or for worse, whereas the AI will generally stay within those rules.

When playing against a human opponent that knows the sport being played and agrees to play by the unwritten rules of conduct(ex: punting on 4th down in their own end), you can pick up patterns in their play. I enjoy playing against a human opponent like this.

When playing against a human opponent that employs no strategy but random behavior, I tend to think their grasp on the sport being played is shaky at best. This isn't always the case though as I know some knowledgeable football people that when sitting down to play Madden (or whatever football game) do very dumb things they would throw fits over if 'their' team IRL did the same.

I'd much rather play against the AI than a human opponent that does things randomly the whole game throwing out all conventional wisdom.
All too true, thats why I keep my Human v Human sports gaming strictly to a few choice friends, that keep the game with-in the realm of realism.
Football, though, is the major offender here, I dont think theres much of a counterpart in a B-ball or a MLB game for the constant QB sneaks or 4th and looong attempts of football games.