View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
spankdatazz22
All Star

OVR: 21
Can the title be changed to "Don't pick on Madden/NCAA"

MythBuster Case #1: NCAA uses a recycled Madden engine each year. - I think this is phrased incorrectly. Most people recognize the similarities between the titles and can come to the conclusion that many of the positives/negatives for the two titles are the same because they share the same base. But I don't think most people say NCAA is nothing but the previous year's version of Madden. I could be wrong, but I never thought that was the general perception. I think there's far more similarities between Madden/NCAA '08 than there was with say, Madden '04 (Michael Vick) & NCAA '04.

MythBuster Case #2: The man on the cover of Madden indicates the focus of the game each year. - Isn't it mostly truth? Especially the past 4-5 yrs? It's funny because you're saying the cover athlete didn't directly correlate with the new "feature" for that year, but in a way you're critiquing Tiburon's success at implementing whatever feature. I think it's easy to see what their intent was. You're trying to make a strictly literal connection with the year's feature and the cover athlete, but it's going to be hard to do because in part Tiburon hasn't done a good job implementing the feature for that year. Most of the features of the past 4-5yrs aren't really relevant today (vision cone, highlight stick, defensive enhancements people want undone (too many interceptions, DBs/LBs reacting to balls unrealistically, weapons, etc. Most of the features aren't significant features for Madden going forward, or it can be argued they shouldn't be). This year I think will be different though; I'm pretty sure the focus will be on presentation. I don't think Brett Favre will tie into any big feature

MythBuster Case #3: The EA Tiburon developers do not watch or care about football. - I'm sure they watch football as we all do. But there's a reason the game is in the state it's in, and it's not because gamers are making them go in the wrong direction/make bad choices. We're going on 4yrs into next gen and the football titles are still arguably lagging behind the current gen titles - which we were complaining about back then. Nobody's saying the game has to be a strict sim. But there are many fundamental football areas the game is really lacking.

MythBuster Case #4: EA is happy because Madden still sells millions of copies each year. - I'm sure EA would always want to sell more. But I guess you were trying to get at EA being "content" on what Madden currently is quality-wise. Hard to say. But I think they're making a mistake not improving the game from a football fundamentals standpoint, and seemingly reaching more towards making Madden more appealing to casual fans.