Old 05-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #25
BlyGilmore
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: OS Roundtable: Looking at the Best Sports Game Tourney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankingsfan
I don't refute your point about my being an unabashed 2k5 fan. What I was trying to make the point of is this. Wasn't Chris Madden Mania? That would seem to me to lend itself to him having a bias, maybe. And there are guys on both sides of the fence of bias. And I really feel you about comparing games that were singular titles vs. yearly updates. I wonder which approach was better? But that's a whole 'nother discussion.....Peace!

P.S. I still can't agree about any game from yesteryear being relevant now. The Beatles analogy doesn't hold because the Beatles wrote songs that were timeless, as well as driving forward recording tech. To say that TSB has set a bar yet to be surpassed is straight feel good nostalgia. 2d sprite based characters that played dumb unrealistic (but fun) football have been far surpassed by the worst Madden.Like you said, the only way to make this a fair comparison is to put an * on the whole thing and judge each game in it's own timeframe. But the whole tourney thing was entertaining.....
See to me you're comparing the art of the Beatles to the technical aspects of video games, instead of the ART of those video games. There's a reason people around the country today still play TSB, a reason why folks have taken the time to update rosters to current versions, and a reason why Nintendo and Microsoft are making a ton of money releasing old video games for download.
Advertisements - Register to remove