View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
spankdatazz22
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Are You Ready for Some (Next-Gen) Football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
Backbreaker will be heralded for it's use of Euphoria but most likely shredded by gamers who have yet to learn to relax their anticipation and expectation for these games.

I enjoy playing Madded, but it's the same engine that past-gen had. Quite honestly, the company to hold more accountable is 2K Sports. They have flubbed baseball, half-assed their All-Pro Football title, and basically polished up the NBA 2K series. We love to remember the days of ESPN NFL 2K5, but if we use that guage for Madden, why not use it for 2K Sports in general? They have tripped over themselves far too many times in the next-gen arena.
You seem willing to place expectations on APF that you admit shouldn't be placed on Backbreaker. And I agree, Backbreaker a lot shouldn't be expected of Backbreaker.

It's 2K's fault when they had the huge disadvantage of trying to develop a new football universe [essentially] from scratch? It's the same challenge Backbreaker will have. 2K made a lot of mistakes with APF - but why ignore where it succeeded, despite it's disadvantages (it was a better playing game than Madden or NCAA last year). And without the benefit of established NFL teams, and current players that most people identify with. Doesn't seem to make sense to be able to compare licensed Madden and NCAA games in their 2nd/3rd years to a non-licensed game APF in it's 1st. The NBA2K series has progressively gotten better with each next gen iteration, with 2K8 being the best NBA game to date. Same with College Hoops. MLB2K6 sucked just as bad if not worse than Madden '06 360, but I don't think it's that difficult to argue MLB2K8 is a better baseball game than Madden '08 is a football game. From what I understand the hockey game may not be spectacular, but it's at least good/solid.

Kudos to OS for finally wrting something on the quality lacking in next gen football. Unfortunately many gamers see the situation as hopeless and are unwilling to take a principled stand

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS