Old 06-29-2008, 01:40 AM   #12
hogfan
MVP

hogfan's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Question about HDTV"s abd NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYaWeigtUp
Finally someone who realizes that contrast ratio is not significant. I've sold TV's for circtuit city and too many people came in thinking it was important when really it has no real value and shouldnt determine a purchase. If you looked at every TV in the store without knowing which contrast ratio is higher or lower, you wouldnt know because you wouldnt be able to tell. Color reproduction is important but dont let that contrast fool you. its a numbers used to tell a customer how colorful and pretty the picture is. You dont need that, just look for yourself.

Now....Burn in DOES EXIST, I've seen it in plasma's as I sold them daily. I've even seen the ESPN logo burned into the bottom of a screne before but thats because the TV was on that station for countless numbers of hours, and that was on the 50" Panasonic which was TV of the Year in 07. It CAN and WILL happen if you pause your game for 3 hours and take a hike. A lot of people have burn in and dont even realize it because they dont watch their screen that closely. You have to be looking for it, or be really close to actually see it unless you have perfect vision because its tough to notice. You'll only see it when the screen gets really bright, then you may see a shadow of the image that has been burned in. I have friends who game on plasma's without a problem, and I've seen others bunred like crazy. There are solutions for burn in and depending on which TV you buy, it varies.

Panasonic has a feature where all you need to do is put the channel on a station where there is constant motion like the nature channel and it will wash itself away in about 24 hours. Panasonic makes the best plasma on the market because they are plasma exclusive. They dont even make LCD's DLP's or anything. They want to focus on plasma so they can dominate that part of the industry and they do.

Samsung, LG and a few others have a washout feature where they turn the screen bright white and you leave it for about 20-30 minutes and it washes away. Depending on how bad it is, it may take longer. Samsung and Sony are essentially the best LCD companies but you wont go wrong Toshiba, LG, Vizio (I have 2), or Sharp (invented LCD's they have the patent). A few TV's I wouldnt even buy with your money: Westinghouse, Pioneer (saw way to many come back to the store), olevia (cheap quality), Phillps (see pioneer).

There is a lot that goes into buying an HD TV:

1) How are you gonna hook it up: Cable, 360? You'll need cables to connect it to the source (cable box, or 360/PS3). HDMI cables will make it look the best by far. No question there, but you may not want the $100 Monster Cables, you can easily get the $20 off-brand cable and save money if you like. I havent seen a big difference in quality, but some say there is. Just dont get suckered into the component cables because they arent made to transfer a high quality HD signal. Thats why companies make HDMI cables. You dont need red/blue/green or red/yellow/white, they're all in in 1 cable...HDMI.

Contrast Ratio absolutely is important. The numbers posted by the manufacturers aren't important. The problem is, for the most part, the new tvs aren't set up properly in the store. There is a lot of tweaking to get the best picture possible. One trick that is often used is to turn the tv on to is brightest setting which catches the customer's eye, yet is a setting that no one would want to use in their home.

Profesional review and videophile sites have stated time after time there is no difference in picture quality between $100 monster cables and the $6 HDMI cable I purchased from monoprice.com.

And what you described is image retention, not burn in. If it were burn in, it wouldn't go away.

You're wrong about Panasonic. They do make LCDs.

Last edited by hogfan; 06-29-2008 at 01:56 AM.