View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #46
RaychelSnr
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukskarate
I thought that an all time winning percentage of nearly .700 (9th all-time), the second most number of bowl appearances all time, and 6 national championships made you a powerhouse. Say what you want, but you can't deny that is a solid argument.
It is a solid argument...but I have one very big issue with it.

Who awarded those National Championships? From my best estimation, Tennessee claims every National Championship the NCAA recognizes (which includes polls largely which did not exist back then). If you use AP National Championships, Tennessee only has two, one of which was 57 years ago.

I guess my biggest problem is the NCAA's way of recognizing National Champions is a bit strange. If every school would use the same system I would have no beefs, but some only recognize AP/Coaches/BCS titles and others recognize the other dozen or so polls which the NCAA lists. The best example that is fresh on everyone's mind I can think of is the 2003 season.

The NCAA recognizes LSU, Oklahoma and USC as national champions that year. What if all three decided to put that up on their scoreboard, because it's official after all?

This really has nothing to do with the original topic at hand but it is an incredibly interesting discussion.