View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #19
marktg30
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: FSU's academics from "Very Good" to "Good" in dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3g
When I first tried out the online dynasty with Florida State, I noticed that only two changes were made to my school: Academics went from Very Good to Good and Program Stability from Excellent to Elite. I know some people think that it went down because of the academic scandal with the players, but I believe it is for the school overall.

I remained puzzled until I remembered the state wide budget cuts for all the schools like UF, FSU, and USF. UF got the most taken away with $40 mil but they are still considered Excellent for academics even if their ranking went down in US News. Since I graduated in Fall 2007 and the cuts did not happen until Spring 2008, thankfully I got out before things got worse. Even if my last semester, I saw money dwindle for the student organizations where many had to resort to fundraisers.

So I came across a story at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4239633.shtml which sums it up. Here are some quotes from the article that explain it:

In other words, it sucks being a teacher (who are underpaid anyways) in an economy heading for a recession and where a standard college degree doesn't mean jack.

Of course FSU is willing to pay Jimbo Fisher over $500k who I think is still unproven and spend a boat load of money renovating the scoreboards in Doak. I know there are different budgets but it sucks when the actual students suffer as they overpay coaches.
I feel ya man. Just be glad you have a teaching job. I am in Ohio and have two degrees now... No Social Studies jobs to speak of...ever!