View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #25
GiantBlue76
Banned

OVR: 28
I'm not going to criticize anyone because everyone has their own tastes. I'm 32 years old and have been playing sports video games since the atari 2600. I had every madden up until 2001 when the series really took a turn for the worst. I also had all of EA's other GREAT sports games, like the old NHL and NBA games for the sega genesis. The concept of sports gaming online was awesome to me. I have zero desire to play the computer. I am not interested in a role playing game when I am competing. I could give a **** less about setting hot dog prices and ticket prices. I have been an athlete my whole life so I love to compete. The whole point to a sports game is to be able to pit yourself against an unpredictable opponent and try to win a championship. Playing the computer gets stale and is unfulfilling. Why is it fun to beat up on the cpu which becomes predictable, for 10 straight seasons? I think a lot of people just get frustrated because they don't win every game. When NFL2k5 came out and they had the fantastic online leagues (which EA now has what, 4 years later????), I joined up with a group of about 20 guys from all over the nation all around my age. We continued to play about 10 straight league seasons and it was the most fun I have ever had playing a game in my entire life. I think most madden players prefer to play offline. While I do think Madden is making a comeback and is on the right track, most of the people who don't want to play online have never had the right experience with it to really understand what makes it fun. The whole point of a sports game is to compete against the best competition and try to out smart your opponent. Human players need to adjust play calling, try different things, utilize different packages etc, etc. When playing the cpu, you get to win every time, what fun is that in the spirit of true competition? I have a group of friends who were all big 2k5 players and we are all actually somewhat hopeful that this year's madden will finally be remotely close to that "other game" that came out 4 years ago. The fact that we can compete against each other in a realistic sim style game is what makes the game fun. If you don't want to be cheesed, then stick to playing against a group of guys on your friend list.
Advertisements - Register to remove