Sigma4Life
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Why the narrow-sighted "AI" is a problem on Madden and NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
All good points.

Out of sheer curiosity (I'm not trying to deflect here), are there any other sports games out there that you all feel have best-of-breed AI? Before I joined EA I was always kind of in awe that they were able to correctly model football so well (since it's by far the most complicated sport), but as we all know as the visual fidelity increases in games, so do the expectations of every other part of the game (i.e. animation, AI, lighting, etc)

I'd like to see what everyone thinks so I am not missing anything and I can research them further.
Konami's Winning Eleven / Pro Evolution soccer has excellent AI with very few holes. For example, the players have knowledge of whether they are winning or losing and adjust accordingly. I'd be surprised if there is a single line of code in Madden that addresses this. I've never played a full season in Madden or NCAA due to the numerous AI issues but I absolutely love playing against the CPU in Winning Eleven because it replicates the real deal so accurately.

In response to the other poster, I don't think the AI problem in Madden has anything to do with processing power. The problem is just as the OP said, the AI logic is too narrowly focused on following assignments instead of understanding the bigger picture.

Last edited by Sigma4Life; 07-30-2008 at 10:21 PM.