View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #22
Agame
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Why the narrow-sighted "AI" is a problem on Madden and NCAA

Ian, I agree with you that EA has done a great job with the AI for computer game. From previous post I have learned how important animation plays in making the game play look real and the A.I. to choose the “right animation” makes a big difference. You have stated that the animations for line play are going to increase (I hope dramatically) which will help the decisions on A.I. game play. I think in addition you can add assigned blocking schemes a utilities zones and match ups. On trap blocks plays the key element of this play is the use of a pulling lineman or linemen. The play creates a deception that a defensive player will be unblocked as he penetrates the line of scrimmage. The play unfolds when the pulling lineman blocks, or "traps" the player to open the hole for the running back to run through. The Pulling lineman can include a guard (on either side of the play direction), the guard and tackle, or even both guards. (For simplicity, utilize 1 pulling guard.)

BLOCKING SCHEMES
Typical blocking for a trap play includes a double team at the hole where the ball will go, the pulling lineman or linemen, and the block on the play side linebacker. The double team helps to create a large hole for the running back(s). This double team, coupled with the trap block, can create quite a large hole to run through, provides that the blocks are successful. The block on the play side linebacker will determine where the back should run. The following rules apply for the pulling guard:
• For inside traps, the guard blocks the first man past the center.
Example: If the defensive player lines up in the A Gap, then the pulling guard will trap that player. Similarly, if a linebacker stunts between the Nose and Tackle, then the pulling guard will trap the linebacker.
• For outside traps, the guard will block the first man past the tackle.
Example: If a defensive tackle lines up in the B Gap, and the Outside linebacker is in the C-Gap, then the pulling guard will trap the linebacker. (qouted from Football.com)

By assigning zones and match up A.I. to the game I think you could achieve a lot more realism.

I think it would be impossible to do this concept for all positions in one year. Please start with the offensive line schemes/defensive line schemes, then work on linebackers & Db’s the following year.

Easy for me to say.

Last edited by Agame; 07-30-2008 at 10:35 PM.