View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 10:57 PM   #59
Sven Draconian
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: Why the narrow-sighted "AI" is a problem on Madden and NCAA

To me, the AI needs to major overhauls

1) Personal based play-calling. In NCAA watching Graham Harrel run the option on 3rd and 5 or watching teams "feed" their 75 ovr RB the ball 25 times when they have a great QB needs to end.

Simply put, the AI needs to have some knowledge of their best players and have it programmed to attempt x amount of touches for that player. Watching great QB hand off the ball and great RB pass block all game just kills me. This needs to go along with having the advantage in the trench's and changed based on skill sets (fast QB=option, fast WR=deep pass, bruising RB=HB dive and so forth).

2) Zone coverage. Its been talked about here before, but I'll give you another breakdown of what I teach my DB's to watch for in coverage.
-Deep zone: Nobody behind you, come up late on curls and outs (avoid the double move). If curl watch the deep drag/post behind you. If you read out watch the wheel. If #1 stays short, check your seam.
(Reading in game terms: Your guarding Streak/Corner, Post, Out, Curl/Hitch and then float inside in that order).

-Flat zone: You have the deepest man before "passing". If two receivers come up late. Vs 1 man take the slant first (inside leverage) if theirs 2 jam the outside and read arrow from the slot.
(Game terms: Your job is any quick throw for 1 second (Slant, quick fade). Otherwise take the curl first and when help comes (LB/Safety) fly into the flats. If you have a double set your first job is the slot arrow or any quick out).

For any position in a zone they are taught to guard a drag if they aren't attacked. IE, if nobody settles in their zone that means somebody is going to run into it.

Players also need to adjust to trips sets better. If theres 3 WR on one side and you have an OLB and MLB in a "hook" zone, they need to "talk" to each other and have the MLB take the first theat (Drag or slant) and the OLB take the 2nd threat.*

*Now, this is where you have blown coverages based on ratings.