Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #27
rhombic21
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Man-to-Man Coverage The Key to Stopping the AI QB in NCAA 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
How is it a work around? Shouldn't you expect the cpu to tear you up if you are playing in a soft zone and they are spreading the field? This is the kind of reasoning I don't get- I honestly think you guys never played football in your lives, let alone understand how defensive sets are called.

In high school our team would play an entire game in man to man if the opposing team was the type that loved to throw the ball around. We had speedy corners and linebackers, so we were able to do this. Looking back on it actually, I'm not sure we ever really relied on a zone heavy scheme- I'm not really sure of any team that really loves to play zone exclusively.
Haha, that's hilariously wrong. In real life, nobody plays man to man against teams like Texas Tech all game, because you're just asking to get raped on crossing routes, and their 4th WR is probably better than your 4th CB.

Most people defend the spread in real life by playing zone coverage and forcing the offense to work their way down the field. The problem is that on the game, every QB is ridiculously accurate and WRs never drop passes, plus your front 4 gets almost no pressure, so even mediocre offenses can do just that everytime out.

I can tell you that OU probably plays man to man defense less than 1/3 of the time, particularly in conference play when we face spread offenses.