View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #20
Acid
Mr. Brightside

Acid's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Thursday Morning Other Stuff (8-7-08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
Does soccer have breaks?

I'm not talking for myself, as my first post had a little in jest. I enjoyed Euro 2008 and the last WC. But, all of the really popular American sports have breaks. Soccer doesn't.
No, soccer doesn't have breaks except for halftime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Define action............. Sure soccer doesn't have the breaks but it is hardly edge of your seat non-stop action like say even NASCAR (god I need to shower now).
I challenge anyone to find a more exciting stretch than the last 10 minutes of a game with a team up 1-0 and the losing team is trying to equalize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Action? Soccer? Puhhleeze. Guys running around on grass kicking a ball back and forth and then every now and then actually making an effort to score is hardly action at a pace that American's are accustomed to. It's not a money making venture and I'm not quite so sure it's all that exciting outside of a few times when the ball is down near the goal.

The thing with baseball is that anything can happen at any time. Soccer? Unless the ball is on one end of the field or the other, no team has a chance to score. With baseball, a team can score on any pitch so to say baseball is boring would be like calling soccer a vapid vanilla waste of time.
The work that goes into a goal makes it so much more enjoyable than anything else in sports, IMO. Maybe I'm just weird for liking to watch a sport where 11 players are working together as a team to get a goal.
But we all live in denial