View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #17
thescoop
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23
I believe patches are good thing but are being GROSSLY OVERUSED!

What do I mean by this? I mean that a lot of patches we see now are for bugs that should have never made it to the retail floor. We are seeing fatal bugs making it into games instead of delays on the release of the title we would have seen in the past.

Now some might not want the game delayed so that's another debate. I personally would rather see it delayed than having to wait a month or longer to play a game I already bought.

While the article is a good one, the question you ask is wrong because anyone with half a brain will say yes patches are a good thing. I mean even the most tested game may have a bug or two slip through the cracks. But I think the question we should be asking are developers depending on patches too much to meet deadlines?

The answer to that quesion is a 100 percent yes, at least in sports games. None sports titles will go the delay route quicker, but we the Madden fans, the NCAA nuts, we must have our copies at a certain point in the year and this has driven developers to cut corners in this new next gen world.

I for one I'm tired of it and would rather see Madden delayed than released buggy, but that isn't going to happen. I almost think you might see more people complaining if they were told Madden/NCAA or MLB 2k were delayed than those of us who are upset by having to wait on the patch.

Patches are a good thing for gamers, but they shouldn't be the standard that they've become in sports gaming.