View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #21
Enderz Game
Rookie

Enderz Game's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Feel your game is scripted (against you)?

I've played plenty of games where it seemed like the CPU had decided it was going to make it turn out to be a close game no matter what I did.

The defensive AI seems to be turned up a notch the whole game and whenever I get ahead they always seem to come up with the big "sticky hands" INT, "robo blocking" punt return, "Michael Jordan" catch, "worst possible moment" fumble, or string of broken tackles to "rubber band" back into the lead. Sometimes it happens in rivalry games, but just as often I've had to really struggle to beat an unranked team that I outrate by 15-20 points.

It used to bother me, but now I actually kind of like it b/c it gives my seasons that "any given Saturday" kind of feel. I like to think that the developers built in some randomness to the team ratings from week to week so that sometimes a 90 rated team plays more like an 80 rated team and a 75 rated team plays more like an 85 rated team. In real life they call them "trap" games where a highly ranked team is either suffering an emotional letdown from a big win the previous week or already looking ahead to a big game the following week.

Whenever it feels like the football gods (aka CPU) are stacked against me I just pretend that my team is having a bad week and the other team is playing out of their minds and take it as a challenge to see if I can find a way to win despite all the bad luck.

So far, I haven't tried calling a TO specifically to use the adjustments, but given how they work it makes sense that you might be able to change the momentum of a game, even one that feels "scripted", by boosting your player's carry or catch or tackle ratings at the right time.
Advertisements - Register to remove