View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
rudyjuly2
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: After patch 2 ques...

Sliders will help fix this for you but they won't fix everything. I don't think the tendencies changed in the patch nor the effectiveness on the default levels. To be perfectly honest, the blocking in this game is broken. I still have fun but you have to pick your poison. Do you want super cpu pass protection or do you want the cpu to be able to run block? For me, you can't have both no matter what difficulty level you play on.

On anything less than Heisman, the cpu run blocking is terrible. The only real way to make their running game at least somewhat successful is by raising the cpu RBA to a really high number to get their ground game to be anything half decent. Even on Heisman, I have my break block at 40 and cpu run block at 100 and they do a lousy job. I've had to crank their RBA up to 75 which gives their RBs a big speed and break tackle cheat just to make their run game a threat on Heisman! I don't remember any version of NCAA in the last few years where the cpu run blocking was so pathetic. Of course on those settings, the cpu QB will drink a cup of coffee in the pocket as my pass rush will be terrible, even with cpu pass block at 0. The only way to improve their blocking some more would be to lower my break block all the way down to 0 which I may have to consider.

Honestly, you can't have it both ways in this game. You can use sliders so you can either mount a pass rush and destroy the cpu OL in the run game OR you get little pass rush and try to get the cpu to mount a decent running game.

This is just my opinion. But so many people were bitching about the super OL pass protection that they failed to recognize just how terrible the cpu run blocking is. I actually think that is the bigger problem. I guess EA thinks everyone always wants to have the best run defense in the game without blinking. I can't believe more people haven't complained about this since I'm not even a very good player. I've used Colorado in my first three years of my dynasty so its not like my defense is a world beater.

EA's blocking sliders are so watered down this year that the sliders don't work as well as they should. EA really needs to fix this for next year (along with overhauling the blocking engine completely and use something similar to the 2K engine).

Last edited by rudyjuly2; 09-15-2008 at 10:00 AM.