View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #57
BadKermit
Rookie

OVR: 12
Re: The MLB 2K9 Developers Are Listening

Great comments so far. I'm going to quote a bunch and add my own stuff at the end.

Quote:
I like the hitting control. I'd like more of an aiming system. Zone hitting seems to be the more popular term. I'm just not sure how you'd be able to incorporate this style of hitting using the right stick.
I don't think it'd be hard to have the best of both worlds. Zone aim your swing with the left thumbstick, but then instead of pressing a button to swing, use the swing stick. But here's where it gets interesting. Keep the swing stick mechanic where you can roll the right thumbstick to the left or right to try to pull/push the ball. I think it would be awesome to get an outside pitch to a right-handed batter and have to push right on the left thumbstick AND pull back the right thumbstick and roll it over to the right side to try to shoot the ball into right field. And if you want to get REALLY crazy, have the speed of the thumbstick movements affect bat speed for a power/contact type dynamic. Of course, leave a button-push for the pure zone hitters.

Quote:
Also, in terms of pitching i'd love to see the computer throw more balls to me. The hardest achievement to receive in 2k8 was "Eagle Eye" that shouldn't happen. While it may piss people off, it definitely makes a more realistic baseball experience and those pissed off will be glad because eventually they'll catch on.
Agreed. And if it pisses people off, just add an "All Strikes" mode. If they did it for the online mode, why can't they do it for offline?

Quote:
BIG IDEA: For pitching I like this whole idea, There should be a pitch marker that is a shaded circle, The worse the control the bigger the circle, the Better the control the smaller the circle and the elite should be able to almost always be able to pin there spots when i say "Elite" i mean control 94- and up.
but still the "elite" will occasionally miss (it's life) and then place the shaded circle where ever and pitch away hopin you hit the zones and Have it like MLB:08 THE SHOW were sometimes your on control and pitch wise and some days your not.
I like the idea of having a "zone of accuracy" (as I call it) that's bigger for wild pitchers and small for pinpoint pitchers. Even if you execute a "perfect" pitch, it will end up anywhere in your gray circle area. If you leave on breakpoint, keep the total control pitching, and turn off the strike zones, I bet we'll start seeing ourselves regularly walking 3-5 guys a game.

Quote:
Dear MLB developers, if you are listening do the following...
1. Rent a copy of the last All Star Baseball game and copy the financial system
2. Rent a copy of any High Heat Baseball PC game and copy the roster management down to AA
3. Rent a copy of MLB the Show 09 and copy their graphics
4. Rent a copy of MVP 05
5. Rent a copy of WSB 1999
6. Steal the best gameplay ideas from Hight Heat, MLB, MVP, and WSB. Only use ASB for the financial system.
This. What's wrong with standing on the shoulders of giants? I would suggest, though, that they actually play MVP NCAA 2006. I loved MVP 2005, but NCAA was without a doubt the most challenging baseball game I've ever played. Pitching was still slightly too easy (although nowhere near as easy as 2005), but the hitting was extremely challenging, and each base hit was VERY rewarding. When you hit a home run, you REALLY earned it.

Quote:
Bring back the hit stick form MVP 06 NCAA. The batter actually begins his motion if you pull the stick back. Currently the batter does nothing when you move the stick back; makes it feel like your just pushing a button and not actually going through the fluid swing motion.
I'm glad someone else played this game. Furthermore, their check swing mechanic felt completely right. I couldn't have been more disappointed that they discontinued the NCAA series. If there was an MVP NCAA 2008, I'd probably be in year 20 of a franchise by now.

Quote:
5. Please get rid of every song on the game and use actual MLB songs. The ESPN theme is way old and not cool. New soundtrack is needed and stay far away from indie rock. Madden is good at track selections. Play up to date songs please. On the same token crowd and bat noises need to be amped up and sound real. I want crowds going wild and boos, and cheers, and chants, and fans going for balls again. Bats need to sound real. Every game including the show has the bat noise as a thud rather than a crack.
Agreed. The sound is horrible, and I don't like the music. Baseball is a game with dozens of great, old-time songs. Why not have a phonograph recording of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" play in the menu? Or "Centerfield"? Or "Talking Baseball"? Or "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request"? "Glory Days"? "Cheap Seats"? Even some baseball-era instrumental music would be more appropriate. Get the soundtrack for Ken Burns' Baseball, if you have to.

Quote:
Oh how about pitchers with their actually pitches so I don't have to edit them all the time.
No kidding. Not all pitchers throw 4-5 pitches. In fact, most throw only 2 "good" pitches, and then have a third or MAYBE a fourth to keep hitters off-balance.

I have just a couple more comments of my own:

Fix the oversight where you had to have exactly 25 guys on all your rosters. It was ridiculous that I had to sign a new player if someone on my MLB team went down and I had to call up someone from AAA or AA. Completely ridiculous. I'd also like to see realistic player management in regards to the Rule V draft, the amateur draft, and the 40-man roster, at the very LEAST. The rules really aren't hard to understand, which is why it boggles my mind that realistic roster management is the exception rather than the rule.

Make the baserunning like MVP 2005/NCAA 2006. I don't care how much improved the baserunning mechanic was from 2K7 to 2K8. It was still horrible, and unintuitive. Just use the MVP model, for God's sake. It was as close to perfection as possible.

Slow down the pitch speed so we can actually tell the difference between balls and strikes. I don't understand why 2K thinks that fast pitching = harder difficulty. CHANGING speeds is what makes hitting difficult. I had no problem making contact in the 2K series, even with the "pitch speed" and "change speeds" sliders cranked up, because everything came in like a 100-mph fastball. Yet pitchers in High Heat and MVP NCAA 2006 were consistently able to strike me out by changing speeds and location. Look at the CPU pitching in those games. PLEASE.

- Mike Royko