View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #16
Ben E Lou
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Football Text-Based Sims This Fall: Feast or Famine?

An update on Draft Day Sports: Pro Football was posted today. The game will not be released in 2008, it appears.

http://www.wolverinestudios.com/foru...41&postcount=1

Quote:
DDS: Pro Football: The biggest reason we don't give release dates and sometimes not even general time frames is that we don't want to dissapoint customers. I know many have hoped for this game to be out soon but it will not be released this football season. If we hustled and crammed we could throw it out there probably towards the end of the season but to me, that's not a good plan. This game is too important to just "finish" it - we want it done right and there's just no reason to rush. I know that this game is immediately going to be compared to and held to the standards of a game like FOF even though it will only be a first version for us. That bar is just too high to just throw something out there.

A big hinderance on the football front (other than starting from the ground up on a new game) has been my ability to move to a new programming language. It was time to move away from VB6 as it is no longer supported by Microsoft and I am learning .NET because I felt it would be the easiest transition. I found that while some things were basically the same some of the biggest functionality I had relied on in the past was thrown out the window for some reason. I'm continuing to learn the language and making better progress now but there are still things I'm learning as well. The biggest thing I found helpful was eventually to start bringing over my DDSPB code to .NET, seeing how it works there and then converting that to code for DDSPF. I guess because I taught myself to program that I have my own style that I work with and I need to see the visual output of the code to know I'm going in the right direction which is why seeing some of the DDSPB code work in .NET made it easier to see how it would work for DDSPF. In the end I'll be happy with the move to .NET and I'm sorry that I couldn't learn it quicker but like I said, I want the football game to be a truly special game so we're going to take the time to do it right. We do have screens and things like that we could release and maybe we will in a little bit but for right now just know that the game a) is being worked on b) will not be released for this football season and c) we are very much looking at the suggestions and comments and finding ways to work some of those into the game plan for the game.