View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #58
TheWatcher
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: Madden has along way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude

Not if they knew what they were doing. Frame hits? I don't think so. If that were the case, why is it other sports games are able to implement all that stuff with no problems? The XBOX360 and PS3 have the harddrive space, power, etc. to really turn Madden into a graphic-crazy,top gameplaying, eye-candy explosion of a football sim. But it was said by EA last year, I think, that the coding for the PS3 was "complicated".
Ok, so make Madden 10 for the PC and XBOX only, if that's a problem.
Newer pc's would be able to handle anything thrown at them, PLUS keep the online aspect.
Football games carry a lot more characters than other sports games, thus using more resources. More poly's, more textures, more lighting, more animations, all of which put a much bigger strain on AI.

Should they have by now figured out how to code the AI in a way where it could still move smoothly even with all these characters? Some might say that EA has the most money and the most resources and should have figured it out by now, and those people might be right. But the bottom line is that they are where they are.

When I heard they were going to 60 frames in '08 I began to chuckle, because I could already see the struggle the game was in at 30. I thought, "how the heck are they going to manage at 60?" '08 was a disaster, '09 is better so they are making progress but I'm skeptical of some things ever being done at 60 with a football game in this gen. All Pro Football had some of the same struggles in fact, and I can point out a few problems both developers have been having like recognition/collision detection with players in moving and rested transitions.. that one has kicked both developers butts in this generation. The NCAA team especially got hammered by that one this season, as it's written all over NCAA '09... it's hard to go one play without seeing it show up.

No matter how much more power you have, human's are still dong the coding, so that'll be just one more thing to add to the mix as a limitation. Does EA have the best Human's (lol)? I don't know, but Madden 06, 07 and 08 would suggest no. '09 would suggest possibly...

Last edited by TheWatcher; 10-11-2008 at 08:54 AM.