View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
OrangeBlood
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Your Recruiting Strategy

I setup my roster so as I always have a position available for incoming recruits and I always redshirt incoming recruits. I try to keep my recruiting class to around 15 per year. If I am able to keep everyone through their RS Senior year that gives me a 75 man roster.

Basically I recruit as follows:

QB - 1 every other year. Max of 3 on the roster.
HB - 1 every year. I rotate my starter and backup often and the next two are the punt and kick returners. Max of 5 on the roster.
FB - 1 every other year. Max of 3 on the roster.
WR - 1 every year. I rotate WR's often as well so everyone gets playing time. Max of 5 on the roster.
TE - 1 every year. 90% of the time I have 2 TE's on the field and I rotate as well. Max of 5 on the roster.
OT - 1 every year. I switch between LT and RT every year. Max of 5 on the roster.
OG - 1 every year. I switch between LG and RG every year. Max of 5 on the roster.
OC - 1 every other year. Max of 3 on the roster.
DE - 1 every year. I switch between LDE and RDE every year. Max of 5 on the roster.
DT - 1 every year. Max of 5 on the roster.
OLB - 1 every year. Max of 5 on the roster.
MLB - 1 every year. Max of 5 on the roster.
CB - 1 every year. Max of 5 on the roster.
S - 1 every year. I switch between FS and SS every year. Max of 5 on the roster.
K - I recruit a new kicker after the previous kicker just finished he RS Soph. season, the new kicker will be RS and then will handle kick off duties the next year during the others RS Senior year.
P - Recruiting is setup the same way as the kicker but the other punter only sees the field in blowouts.

Roster Breakdown:

QB - 3
HB - 5
FB - 3
WR - 5
TE - 5
OT - 5
OG - 5
OC - 3

DE - 5
DT - 5
OLB - 5
MLB - 5
CB - 5
S - 5

K - 2
P - 2

Total: 68 players. The remaining 7 players come from athletes, however I only recruit athletes when they are too good to pass up, like when you see a 6'5'' 230 pounder with A- speed and looks like a great TE, however in that senario he would just replace my TE recruit for the year.