View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #14
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
"Sliders are a shameful downward spiral of inadequacy. Developers use them to make programming easier, and sports gamers use them because they are there. Too lazy to put in the practice to excel in the game as it was designed, gamers slide the almighty sliders to adjust to their individual whims. They do not realize that if they were proud and held themselves accountable for their gaming that developers would no longer be able to use sliders as a development crutch. "

Yes and no. Sliders are the users ability to tailor the game to their unique playing style. The reason why they are so popular on OS is because most of us consider ourselves to be "sim" players so we're looking for the most realistic gaming experience. We use them to help make the game mirror it's real life counterparts.

As a guy who uses sliders I am 100% for companies putting them in. Without adaptive AI, games become stale and predictable. If a game has good sliders (NBA 2K/College Hoops/FIFA), you can tweak the way certain teams play to ensure that the gaming experience is unique to that team. If you play the Warriors in an NBA game and they play the same was at the Spurs then you have a major problem in my eyes.

I don't view them as the developers being lazy or as a crutch in any way. I applaud them for giving us the choice to customize our game. Hell, a lot of us want the ability to edit/customize everything.