Old 10-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #65
JBH3
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48
Cool Re: Sliders: I Don't Get It

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
for me, I rarely, rarely, and I mean rarely use sliders. To me, adjusting sliders means that you are trying to get a "predetermined" outcome thus eliminating the unpredictability of the game. Also, in my opinion, slider adjustments become a never ending, vicious cycle. You are playing the game to see if it "plays correctly" instead of playing the game to, well, play the game.

Now having said that, do I think that sliders should be removed? Absolutely not. They have become a mainstream in sports games and in all honesty, the more options given to the user, the better. We all have different opinions of what a "sim" game is and sliders gives the users the ability to adjust the game to their "sim level".
LOL...at your 'predetermined' outcome...Yea because its perfectly normal to play a baseball game like MLB 2K8 where the CPU never walks a batter, throwing w/ perfect control, and hitting every corner...

Man...and its just too doggone hard to take that AI throws to corners/AI pitcher control slider down about 30-40 clicks from default so that Adam Eaton doesn't pitch a complete gem against me every time I face him. OMG the difficulty involved...

fooey on me for trying to come up w/ that predetermined outcome...I should've known better the CPU AI knew that Adam Eaton was capable of pitching like Jake Peavy....Or that the New York Knicks were supposed to shoot 63% from the field in both times I faced them in my sixers association.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Predetermined, yeah to a certain extent, what we're trying to do is to created a reasonable standard deviation.

Steve Kerr hold the NBA record for 3pt percentage in a season at 52%. Playing out a 20-year association it should be quite an amazing thing if you saw 2 or 3 guys TOPS, equal or surpass that number, and if they do it should be around 55% max.

Now if 3 guys on your team shoot 65% from 3 land every season, well then you aren't playing a game that is emulating NBA basketball. For a lot of people that's totally o.k., for a lot of us here at OS, its not.

We already know about the game being tuned for casual players, but in addition to that no matter how knowledgeable about their sport, and talented they are at their craft, its clear to me that all development teams have their eccentricities as well as "blind spots". They fall in love with certain animations, or don't like to work the count as a batter in baseball, it could be 100 different things.

Sliders allow us to deal with those personal developer quirks that lesson the authenticity of the experience. Talking about "not getting it" I never got the whole "as the developer intended" mantra. History has shown us that as long as the "fun factor" credo exists there will be many liberties taken when developing a sports games.

At least we have a way to ameliorate many of those design decisions.
Great post...

Man I remember when I heard a podcast (on this site), about the upcoming MLB2K8 w/ Uber baseball game developer Ben Brinkman...

He stated that when he (the games developer) likes to play a baseball gm...he doesn't want to sit through a bunch of pitches.

He likes the CPU pitcher to throw him strikes so he can hit the ball...Which essentially is how MLB2K8 played pre-slider edits...

So there's your case of developer influence on how the game plays...If it wasn't for editing sliders we all...baseball purists, and the casual fan, would have to play the same kind of baseball gm.

I'm not OK w/ that in the least bit...so thank god I can edit the CPU's 'hitting power' slider so that Omar Vizquel isn't taking me deep 3-4 times a gm.
Advertisements - Register to remove