View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #70
SloeyEZ
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Sliders: I Don't Get It

Quote:
Originally Posted by original6
I don't get the sliders either. There never used to be any sliders back in the day. Now it seems almost every sports game has a bevy of sliders, with little or no explaination to what they actually do. Many times the sliders don't even seem to do anything. \

Imo, programmers have gotten lazier over the years and too much emphasis has been placed on graphics instead of ai and gameplay with the advent of consoles with greater graphics processing capabilities. In addition, it seems programmers think the 'best' way to make a game more challenging is to give the cpu 'enhanced' physical abilities, rather than make them smarter as you increase difficulty levels.

I'm a huge hockey gamer and would love to see a game be published with only a slider for difficulty that would only make the ai smarter, while the rest of the game played like real hockey. I'm tired of messing with sliders to no end trying to get the game to play like real hockey. Yes, I hear people's arguments about "personalization" and all. But, to me, if you want to play arcade hockey, go buy an arcade game like NHL Hitz. If you look at the slider threads here, or at any other sports gaming site, you'll see that the bulk of the discussion is how to adjust the sliders to get the games to play as realistic as possible. Rarely if ever do you see a request by someone who asks, "How do I get the game to play super fast with ridiculously huge hits?"

Enough with the sliders already. Just program the damn game like the real sport. Seriously, how hard can it be to get the physics right? I play other games with physics involved and there aren't any sliders for those? Why do we need the option to alter the laws of physics in sports games? I dunno, I just don't get it.
lol, I promise that ^^ is not an alter ego of mine but nice to see I'm not the only one that felt this way.