Old 12-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
firktaf
Rookie

firktaf's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Presenting... the BCS Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevJo
I disagree with this general argument. I don't think a plus-one makes more regular season games important. You'd still have all but half a dozen teams out of national title contention with a few weeks left in the regular season. That means still an awful lot of games that aren't important in terms of the national title picture. The other thing I don't like about that argument is that it fails to recognize the importance of the games for their own sake. Games are important for lots of reasons besides national title implications... conference titles, rivalry games, bragging rights, senior days... anyone who thinks you need a small number of teams in the playoffs in order to have important regular season games, to me that person isn't thinking straight.

I think an 8-team playoff is the way to go. IMO, the important thing is to make sure the best team in the country gets a shot to play for the title in the postseason. The BCS obviously doesn't do that, the best team could easily finish #3 in the BCS rankings. I don't think a plus-one would do it either. Take this year for example, let's say Florida beats Alabama in the SEC championship game. You've got 4 seemingly equal teams--Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, USC, plus undefeated Utah and Boise State. A plus-one system wouldn't do jack to solve that problem. 8-team playoff is the way to go.
Here's the problem with the 8-team playoff... with at least this season anyway. There are currently 10 teams that are either undefeated or have 1 loss(Alabama, Boise State, Utah, Ball State, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, Penn State, USC, and Texas Tech). I'm in favor of 16-team playoff that rewards all the conference champions and 5 at-large teams. Out of those 10 teams, 7 of them will be conference champions. Then, the 4 other conferences not accounted for(C-USA, Sun Belt, Big East, and ACC) get a fair addition and this puts an emphasis on every conference game being important. And lastly, there's room for 2 more at-large bids. It has the benefit of being able to earn your way into the tournament but also only allowing the top tier of teams into it.

Also, I know one of the big arguments against a tournament is possibly adding 4 more games to a 13 game schedule. I'm in favor of shortening the out-of-conference schedules to 1-2 games and then only the top 2 teams play 15 games.

NFL:
Jacksonville Jaguars
MLB:
St. Louis Cardinals
NBA:
Orlando Magic
NCAA: UCF Knights