View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
born_bad
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Playing Smart: Why Realism Is Not Always the Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
I will gladly pay a premium price for a complex, intricate and realistic representation of football and basketball....maybe even baseball.

To appease realism you have tune files and sliders...simple as that.
I think sliders are fine for people to adjust so they can get a competitive game for themselves, but I'm not one to mess with them myself. I think a lot of people fall into the trap of endless slider tweaking, in search of that ever elusive "perfect" set of sliders that gets them a realistic game. Yet, things happen in sports all the time that seem out of the norm. I remember a Red Sox game a couple of years ago with 4 back-to-back HRs. If that happened in the videogame, someone would go in and change their HR sliders because it's not "realistic."

I think it would be easier to just have an "arcade" difficulty setting, for people that want the game to be more arcadey and a "sim" difficulty setting, in which the devs set it to what they feel is the most accurate to the sport they could make at the time. Sliders could still be in there to teak difficulty, if you wanted.