View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #99
johnprestonevans
Pro

OVR: 18
Re: What presentaion aspects do you want to see in Madden 2010?

This post is my input for what I think MUST be remedied most for Madden 2010. While I do think Madden could benefit from a few key gameplay tweaks (working AI sliders, QB accuracy, etc.), this post is all about fixing and updating the game's most frustrating issue - The PRESENTATION.

1. ESPN Pre-Game Show. Ok EA, its time to start using that touted ESPN license you secured 4 years ago. We want authentic BROADCAST style presentation and that starts with a dynamic Pre-game buildup Show. Lets get Chris Berman back (or some other NFL panel) to introduce the game. Tell us what's happening around the league in our season. Put our game into perspective and build up the hype. Show some fan tailgating and outside shots of the stadium and city (take what you did last year and push it further). Talk about key injuries, past meetings between rivals, and what the keys to success are. Just watch ANY NFL pre-game show and you'll get an idea what we want in Madden.

2. ESPN Halftime/Post-game Show. What made 2K5 such an incredible experience was its phenomenal Halftime and Post game shows. Show us the action with highlights and dynamic commentary. Flesh out that awesome "Backtrack" commentary and manifest that approach into your game recap and highlight reel. Give us scores and highlights from other games going on (playing at the same time as our Franchise game). What are our hated division rivals doing out of town? How about some post-game interviews? (variety is crucial to keeping your presentation fresh).

3. ESPN Weekly Wrap-up Show/Sportscenter. Yes I'm BIG on the "shows". I think it just completes the experience by putting our game IN a real authentic NFL broadcast feel. Lets see the games from around the league. Show some big highlights. Talk about key injuries, trades, performances and team storylines.

4. Tickers. *I've created a separate thread on Tickers that goes into more detail - see my concept art there*, but basically adding a running/scrolling LIVE ticker in Franchise mode that shows Out of Town Scores, Fantasy Stats and Game Updates with an option to "Cut to Out of Town Highlights" between plays/quarters would be a massive improvement. It goes without saying that Live Out of Town Highlights need accompanying commentary as well. Make our franchise games feel immersed in a dynamic NFL season. EA, this greatly adds to the realism of the true "Beyond Broadcast" experience that you bragged about last year.

5. Camera Angles. Give us the option to choose different camera angles to play our games from. You have them in Head Coach, so why not apply them to Madden? Sideline, Broadcast, Action, Dynamic and Cinematic style cams might not be for everyone, but some of us like to change things up and take in the incredible graphics you've worked so hard on from different angles. I enjoy watching CPU vs. CPU games from time to time, and it would be great to see them in some form other than the customary "Behind the QB" gameplay view.

6. Commentary. It was really nice to see EA address this issue last year. Unfortunately they still need to fix their robotic play-by-play. With all due respect, Tom Hammond needs to go in favor of someone that puts life into their calling. Al Michaels was great. Bring John Madden back. Give us someone that gets excited and can compliment the incredibly spontaneous voice work put in by color man Cris Collinsworth last year. Get rid of those lame repetitive lines "brought to you by the fine folks at EA sports" heard much too often. Have your commentators get EXCITED for big plays. Make their tone and demeanor reflect the atmosphere/situation of the game. Talk about coaches challenges during the replays. The commentary work needs to run throughout Madden's presentation as mentioned in the "highlight" and "show" suggestions above.

7. Weather & Time of Day. Kudos to EA for working on this last season, but these environmental effects could benefit from added dynamics. How about weather that changes throughout a game? What about a progressing time of day? How about some cloud shadows sweeping across the field on a bright sunny afternoon? Or stadium shadows elongating in the late afternoon? Or worsening rain in outdoor games from time to time? Or building piles of plowed snow in late season North Eastern match-ups?

8. Crowd & Sidelines. Inject some life into your stadium with more a vibrant content. Bring back that chain gang to measure up those close 1st downs. Show us player and coach reactions (with variety). Update us with sideline injuries. Kickers warming up for game winning field goals. Make the crowd more reactive to what is happening in the game. This means roaring loud on home team successes or emptying a stadium on visitor blowouts. Get rid of those cardboard cutout camera men and teammates.

9. Rivalry Games/Playoffs. Up and anti on "BIG" games. Talk about the big games of the week and if we are playing one, then give it the gravity it deserves. Louder fans. More player emotion. Halftime shows. Make the Superbowl feel like the greatest show on earth and not just like another game.

I'm hopeful that EA will finally use their acquired ESPN license and put their focus on improving their lackluster broadcast aesthetic. Many of these improvements have been done before. With Madden's amazing graphics engine applied, these improvements (many of them pulled from features present in 2K5 and 1990's Madden games) there is plenty of reason to be be excited at the possibilities if EA finally chooses to put their attention into their presentation. Here's hoping...