View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #18
firktaf
Rookie

firktaf's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Presenting... the BCS Tournament

That's not the point of what he's doing. He's building his own bracket and is going to simulate or something what would happen if there was a 32 team bracket. Then we get to see who would come out on top.

I already went over this on the first page, but for college basketball, 19% of teams make the championship tournament. For college football, 16 teams would be 13%. So, it's not like you're letting in an excessive amount of teams but its still fair to all teams and isn't that the point of having a tournament(I agree that 32 is excessive though)? That's what's great about college basketball. Everyone has a fair shot. It's not just about having a tournament so that we can be certain that one of the best teams is actually the best team.

Hypothetically speaking though, if Ball State had won the MAC Championship last week, then they still wouldn't have made the 8 team tournament despite being 13-0. Oklahoma and Florida are both going to play 14 total games this year. With the conference championship having more of an emphasis, out of conference games wouldn't really be needed. So, if you took away 2 out of conference games(nearly everyone plays an FBS school which is pretty much an automatic win so that would be easy to get rid of and then it's just getting rid of one other game on the schedule) and add the 16 team tournment, then the most possible games played by any teams is 15. That's only one more than the current setup and that would only be for the two teams playing for the National Championship. Everyone that doesn't make the tournament would most likely play 10-11 games and then there would still be some bowl games for the good teams that didn't make the tournmanent.

jacory, I'd like you to go tell Boise State 2 years ago that they can't compete with the major conferences after they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. You can't predict how good a team is or how well they're coached just because they're from a small conference. Look at Davidson in basketball. Last time I checked, they were ranked in the top 25. Actually, I must be wrong about that, there's no way a team that's not in a power conference could possibly be good... Anyway, just by actually giving the smaller schools a shot at the title, there would allow more parity in college football and the smaller conferences would actually improve.

Also, a 16 team bracket(11 conference champs and 5 at-large) made from 120 teams would be confusing but a 65 team bracket made from 340 or so teams isn't? Right....

NFL:
Jacksonville Jaguars
MLB:
St. Louis Cardinals
NBA:
Orlando Magic
NCAA: UCF Knights