View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #34
UGA-Showstoppah
Rookie

OVR: 3
Location: Corleone Compound- Sanford Stadium on Saturdays in the Fall
I can't speak for the basketball genre because I'm simply a football guy.

'Realism' or some semblance of it has been wanted since the days of Madden on the Apple and Techmo on Nintendo. The problem lies where it always lies....with us; the football gamer. We, as gamers, can take average quarterbacks and make them all pro or all-american because the cpu can't, won't, and will never simulate play as well as another gamer. We control the players on the field so when they don't perform....we complain because the deep ball is completely gone.....I'm averaging 2 yards per carry......there's too many interceptions....the line blocking sucks....my linebackers can't tackle. However, when we destroy our competition we say "The deep ball is cheese...the cpu calls stupid plays....the cpu never throws deep.....the defense needs to be able to pursue better....There's never a solution, even with sliders because something will take a hit on our own percieved 'realism' scale. What may be 'real' to one gamer, might be completely unrealistic to another gamer or game developer.

We can play online; but then we take the risk of playing in a game of 'cheese' that's not enjoyable and is as far from real as it can get tactically.

If we actually did get a game where 'Red right - 323 Texas X post Y stick Z zoom C scat" was the offensive play; we'd complain that it stupid to have 'real' play calls instead of Strong HB circle.

Basically, we're screwed. That's not a criticism; it's just an observation. I have played Madden/NCAA (Bill Walsh Football) for almost 20 years. Real or not....I still will play just like the rest of you because of the sport...not the game on the console.

Great topic and glad I could visit today for the first time in a while....keep it up OS boards members. You've all made great points on this subject. Back to work for me.