View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
SpHSpH
Pro

OVR: 8
Trouble Throwing the Deep Ball ...

I am predominantly a run-first / pass-second type offense. I use the Fresno State playbook and I employ a good mix of single-back (Ace) and two-back (IForm / Strong / Weak) sets. I am doing OK at crossing routes and slants/outs ... but I still want to hit a nice deep ball every once in a while - but I have no luck with this. I could use your help!

===== ===== =====
From the QB perspective:

Does it matter what my THP/THA are? I have been using Michigan and Temple in my dynasty - the QBs for these teams are in the 80s for both THP and THA.

I know that I should have my feet "set" before I throw the pass. I have spent time in practice mode trying to figure out how to throw the lob pass. I know that I am supposed to lightly touch the button so that I get the high arching ball path.

What about the precision passing part? Out in front ("up" on the D-pad) or toward the sideline/center ("left" or "right" on the D-pad)?

Thoughts on timing? When should I release the pass? What should I look for to determine when my WR is open?

Thinks to look for pre-snap? While the play is progressing? Should I roll out to one side or stay in the pocket?
===== ===== =====

===== ===== =====
From the WR perspective:

Do I need to have an OVR advantage over the CB guarding me? How much? I subbed out the CB and replaced him with a slow LB in practice mode - and then I worked on getting past that slower guy [this worked ]

Should I take control of the WR? I have been leaving him be - and letting the CPU control him through the catch. I am afraid that when I select the WR (hit A) that he veers from his route.

I know that I can hit Y to catch or X to dive - does this make a difference? What is the timing for this?
===== ===== =====

===== ===== =====
From the coach perspective:

I know that I should only attempt the deep pass when I have single coverage - I do not like my chances against two defense players. Most of the time when I try to throw the deep ball it is knocked down by 2 (or 3) defensive players who come from elsewhere to swarm my WR.

What deep routes have good success (go / flag / post / fade)? Is there any specific advice about the particular routes that is valuable? Zone vs man?

I think that I should have success with PA passes - I like to run the ball - and I feel like in "real football" the PA pass following some rushes is high return. But I mostly get sacked whenever I call a PA pass.

Should I only attempt a deep pass from a S-Gun formation - or can I still use my under-center offense?
===== ===== =====

Thanks for reading - I hope this starts a good discussion!

Last edited by SpHSpH; 12-16-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove