Old 01-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #39
Skyboxer
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Playing Smart: Why Realism Is Not Always the Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
While I want games to be realistic, there's a limit.

The day I have to review tape for a week of various defenses in order to have a fighting chance at Madden is the day I stop being a sports gamer.

I want realism, but you also have to realize that we're all not elite pro athletes or coaches. I don't know how to throw a curveball. I don't know the intricacies of the Tampa-2 vs. various offensive sets. I don't know all the ins and outs of basketball.

When a video game starts requiring me to know all the minute boring crap it takes the fun out of it. I don't have time to learn all that stuff. My gaming time is limited enough as it is, I don't want to be forced to stare at scouting reports for an hour before I play my game.

I co-sign to a degree. I don't want the game to be a chore that takes away from the fun. I do want the game to be as real on the field as possible though.
I love the depth of HC Football where you need to get your players educated on the plays etc... as well as the other items in the game.

Just to use football as an example. I simply HATE that we still are at the "Push button X for X receiver" stage. NFL Fevers read and lead was a step in the right direction IMO. It wasn't perfect but it was an advancement.
It wasn't over complicated but added more user ability into the game. You got a real sense of accomplishment when you had a good passing day.
I spent many hours on John Elway QB arcade machine as well as my first ever Madden on the Aplle IIe. Both games passing mechanics featured "throw anywhere on the field" modes.

This is one of the reasons why I let the QB throw for me in Madden 09.

I'll gladly take the "review tape for a week of various defenses in order to have a fighting chance at Madden" but make it an option or be able to delegate it to an assistant coach.

Anyways there's different realism for different people. For me seeing a 190lb WR break 3 tackles or a QB throw off the back foot and be deadly accurate obviously takes away from the realism.
As well as hitting a high inside pitch for a 400ft opposite field hr.

There are many things in todays games that could be fixed to make the games ton more realistic that wouldn't require complicated controls or a total re-write.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS