View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #41
baa7
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Playing Smart: Why Realism Is Not Always the Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_bad
I *hated* MLB2k's game last year. The pitching controls are horrible, IMO, and still don't accomplish what they were going for: making it feel like throwing different pitches. Again, I think pitching should be as simple as a button press
MLB 2K8's pitching system wasn't complicated, it was just stupid. And I'll take that back the day I see Chien-Ming Wang move his arm sideways to the left, and then quickly spin it counter-clockwise in a circle, in order to throw his sinker.

As I get older I care less and less about 'complicated'. I like running in straight lines towards the goal -- to heck with learning tricks and spin moves. At the same time, I have to know my input as a user makes some difference, which is why I play using manual passing and shooting controls in a game like FIFA.

In other words, game controls can still be innovative without being overly complicated. Button pushing is fine for pitching, but if a simple system can be incorporated into the game that mimics the pitcher's windup and release -- like the golf swing in Tiger Woods -- then I'm all for that.
Advertisements - Register to remove