View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
thelasthurtknee
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Stopping the Slant

i got one. 4-4 cover 2. its the cover two play that is the only one on its sheet or the last play in the formation. the safety plays the middle and the cb's drop deep. play bump and run. dont let the linebackers move out on their man, keep them inside. the cb will actually jump the route unless its a slot reciever and then the olb will make a play. the cbs bump and then drop hard to the inside to get to there zone. they run inside with the wr and will jump the quick slant. ive never taken it into practice and run it over and over but if im playing a guy that is hitting slants i run this and have great success from my 10 in. i worry about running this when im outside of redzone because this cover two is weak against deep outs and corner routes. you can also show blitz on this and it will work and also i always move my dline with a spread and send them wide because you wont have help to the outside if the qb decides to run. when you spread them wide you will lose your inside run d so thats why i show blitz at times running this. go into practice and try it out. works in games for me to the point where its my basic redzone slant d.

one other thing is i run a 5-2 play where there is a heavy blitz from one side but the dline on that side or atleast the tackle and end drop into coverage. this has got me picks by the dend on this play against slants. maybe a cover 2 out of 4-3 and quick audible the dends to drop into zone. this might get him. there might be some plays already set up to do this. also maybe a mix zone man play where he reads wrong and you have a cb on himand zone backers. there are some good plays that do this out of the 3-3-5 in nickle.

good luck.