View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #271
SLagonia
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: The MLB 2K9 Developers Are Listening

I signed up just for this thread.

I noticed one common theme in this thread. Yeah, there's a few requests for gameplay or frivolties, but there's one thing mentioned over and over again; Franchise mode needs to be deeper.

More and more, games are moving away from their core market, and more toward the casual gamers. This works for the majority of projects because hard-core Halo fans will buy the next installment reguardless of whether it was made for them or the casual gamer, while the casual gamer will only buy games marketed to them. They don't want to be immersed in a story, have complicated controls or sift through back-story, they just want to shoot things.

But sports are unique. You have options - If you don't like 2k9, you can buy The Show. Hardcore gamers are not to be taken for granted.

Yet, they are. People like me who like to run twenty seasons in franchise mode want more depth, more storylines, more personality... And we keep coming up empty.

I've been a 2K fan since... Well, since MVP went belly-up. Both 2K and The Show had similar options, and so I went to 2K because the gameplay was far superior. The mechanics were excellent, the fielding needs a little work, but is ok, and the whole experience was just more realistic.

But this year... Well, there's almost nothing about the new game online. It seems to be a big secret, but what little has been released seems to promote the fact that things have been 'simplified.' That's not a good word... Pitching has been simplified, hitting has been simplified, franchise mode has been simplified... I don't want to hear that. It was too simple as it was! This is nothing but a further move toward casual gamers.

Meanwhile, I look over to The Show - Several waiver options, salary arbitration, 40-man rosters... WOW! They really expanded their franchise mode!

When I think back, I realize that I've had all of this before - All-Star Baseball used to give it to me eight years ago. They also gave me a Expansion mode, which was the most fun I've had in a baseball game since. Why is it these features can't be done on 2K9? Why can't we get a little something?

We seem to lose features as time goes on, and it's all in the interest of being 'simplified.' 2K, if you're listening - WE DON'T WANT SIMPLIFIED! WE WANT TO HAVE FUN AGAIN! Stop making games for the casual fan, because they're not buying your game anyway. WE ARE!
Advertisements - Register to remove