View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 03:22 AM   #276
SLagonia
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: The MLB 2K9 Developers Are Listening

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
See, I understand what you're saying, but I think it's this very issue where 2K doesn't "get it."

It's fine to have a challenging and rewarding control scheme. I'm all for it...if it works right. The trouble is, the only real challenge came from the controls. I want AI improvements.

I want to be pitching to a big time hitter with a feel he could destroy me if I make a mistake (not talking about a HR threat every time either...there are guys that can pepper you to death too. this is not represented well at all). I also want to feel like a mistake is more than just a "meatball" and that I could walk a guy by being too careful.

I want to be at the plate and feel like a big guy like C.C is bearing down on me. I want to have to gameplan based on how I'm being pitched.

I want excellent fielding to change a ballgame...and poor fielding to do the same.

I want that burner to take a base from me late in the game. Be it a steal, a well placed bunt, a hit and run, etc.

All of 2K's challenge feels manufactured. Whether it's the control scheme, penalty system, whatever. If the game plays solid baseball, you don't need a manufactured penalty system. The game can do that itself.

I think, especially with the 2K game, people focus way too much on the controls when they make their judgements (either positively or negatively).

The truth is, until this game gets the stuff controlled by the ever-changing schemes working, it won't play well enough and I'll continue to take a pass.
You said two very important things I completely agree with;

First, a major, MAJOR problem with 2K8 is that you're playing against yourself. If you're a good manager, you'll outsmart the computer. If you know how the controls work, you can succeed. If you slip on the controls, you'll lose.

The opponant AI is generic and predictable. There are a few managers in baseball today you need to bring your A-game when you play against. They're cunning and sly, and can make stunning and unpredictable moves. This computer is predictable and average across the board.

Another thing is something I noticed in pretty much every game I've ever played, with the exception of some of the early 21st century All-Star Baseballs - Defense means nothing.

One of the reasons why defense is so important, maybe the most important part, in fact, of real baseball, is that a defensive mistake starts a total breakdown. An error by the shortstop doesn't just give a free baserunner, it also unsettles the pitcher, gets him angry, or maybe worried about pitching for a groundball. He starts to overpitch and makes mistakes. Meanwhile, a tight defense will give him more confidence.

This is a real simple problem to fix - Morale bonuses to the pitcher for great plays, or for consecutive errorless innings, and a penalty for errors. Make the defense matter. It's an almost useless part of the game right now; Almost meaningless and dependant on the man at the controls, not the man being controled. Jason Giambi and Don Mattingly would be equal first baseman in this game.

Last edited by SLagonia; 01-15-2009 at 03:24 AM.