View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
bigwill33
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: All Top Rank Players Cheesers?

I just wrote an article on this here more or less. It should be up in the next week or so. It is called my quest to be #1 online. It started running long so I didn't get into a lot of what I wanted to touch on, maybe I could make it a series or something.

Anyway yes, I am ranked top 200 currently and the game is just about straight cheese. The problem mostly lies in the game itself as it rewards that kind of play. It is much easier to score and win doing those moves than playing real hockey. Still it can be countered and stopped sometimes.

Things I have done or have seen work effectively include these:
-Try being a forward on defense, bring them down low and force your opponent to go around the cpu defense (much tougher than human controlled) and your controlled forward.

-beat them to the side they are beating you on. Meaning you have to make them beat you another way. If you know they like to wrap it around or pick short side you must try and beat them to the punch and get there first. Use your poke checks or lie down as a last ditch effort.

-If you know what you are doing you can even control the goalie to stop these moves. The cpu goalie is a moron when it comes to these so take matters into your own hands. Don't do it every time as to not show your had, and sometimes you can bluff it meaning if you have done it once and he thinks you will do it again just quickly switch to goalie then off him before he has a chance to react.

-While I don't like to do this you can change your strategy tactics to help out. Look for ones like collapsing low etc. That should clog things up a bit and allow you to be closer to a position where you can maybe defend these shots.

-Run interference. This game is laxed when it comes to interference penalties so bump a guy before he gets to a loose puck or receives a pass. Blow the guy up on the doorstep waiting for the cross crease one timer. Or just slam someone when they are at the blue line waiting to enter the zone in hopes of knocking him offside. It is dirty but hey do what you need to do to win against people that are just going to do it to you anyway.

Most of it though is about speed and play recognition. You have to be fast on the sticks and no the controls inside and out. Then you have to know hockey and anticipate the passes and shots and you will start taking away your opponents time and space. It sucks but this game is what it is, and to win against the best you have to play like them.