View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #29
kestrel
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: OMT: These teams should get a star boost in 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
You're clearly part of the instant gratification, can't remember past yesterday crowd. Michigan will clearly be back in the national picture within the next year or two because they are still getting 4-5 star commitments. Last year, they had 17 4-star commitments and this year they are on pace for 12 4-star commitments and 1 5-star.

Add this to the fact that they sellout every home game in the largest football stadium in the country.... and the 43 current NFL players who went to Michigan, I'd say they are pretty damn prestigious.

I'm a Florida State fan, so I have no reason to butter Michigan's bread. The bottom line is that prestige is not a 1 year award.
And I'm not saying prestige should be a one year award or demerit. What I am saying is that, as far as recruiting is concerned, having a down year (especially as a result of a coaching change) is going to have an effect. It's minimal for a school like Michigan than if something similar happened at, say, Rutgers.

The main part of my point that seems to be overlooked is that EA shouldn't be hasty in giving a program a high prestige rating simply because ESPN created a formula that ranked a team that's been nearly insignificant or had a few or several bad years in the top 25 (or whatever) in their prestige poll. Acknowledge that they have some history to them, fine, but you have to take history with a grain of salt.

Let's take your beloved Seminoles. They were the team to beat in the 90s (or one of them), but this decade things have gone a little sour. Florida State is not as prestigious as it used to be; this statement acknowledges the program's history, but it also acknowledges current prestige or importance.