View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #21
allBthere
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: UFC 2009 Undisputed Roster Announcement (IGN)

first I guess I don't put nearly as much weight on gsp's tko loss as the rest of you guys - it doesn't mean he has a glass jaw. Lennox Lewis doesn't have a glass jaw either, nor does jon Fitch, Alves, or Rampage who've all been tko'd (lewis w/ one punch)

second I think GSP can win by any of the 3 methods TKO, Sub, Dec. Tko being the least likely but i still think he'd have a chance.

On the other hand I think it would be nearly impossible for Silva to submit GSP - so that leaves either TKO or decision.

I think GSP has been in way more longer and tougher fights (which build skill and character) and faced by far the better opposition.

Having said all that, as far as strategy, I think Silva's biggest advantage is his height and reach because he throws those beautiful long and straight shots - so how do you get in to strike or take him down, and how do you bang w/ him normally?

I'd like to see GSP throw some lead-leg sidekicks, some with a jab/backfist fake in advance to get more power (silva is open to this at times). This might allow him to land some head shots if he can get silva expecting a kick. This also is needed against silva who is 6'2" while gsp 5'10" (don't know the reach diff).
Another thing Silva does sometimes is cover up and move straight backwards. I think if GSP initiates combos w/ some lateral movement and he can get silva to do this, he can throw some fastballs or take him down.
by the way I think if inside, he could take Silva down almost at will.

Now considering the above, I still think that this is the most closely competetive matchup among the top guys the UFC has ever seen - and yes there are many things Silva can do to expose GSP too.

I however don't see it as an absolute fact that Silva would catch GSP will a KO shot, in fact, I would guess that it would go to a decision most likely. It's a big mistake just to plan on KOing everyone w/ one punch - especially when the majority of the fight could be on the ground.
Advertisements - Register to remove