View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
SilverJet
Rookie

OVR: 7
*Making Them Like No Other* A Pittsburgh Penguins Dynasty

Pittsburgh/Penselvynania - Even after getting his team to the Stanley Cup Finals, Penguins Head Coach Michel Therrien was fired.

"I wasn't sure what I did wrong, we played great, but I think ownership of the Pittsburgh Penguins decided it wasn't enough" said now former head coach of the Pens Therrien.

Moments later, the Penguins organization also had fired general manager Ray Shero. Shero took over from Lester Patrick, who was the one who built the former dynasty of when it was Lemieux joined by Jaromir Jagr, Paul Coffey, Ron Francis, Kevin Stevens, Bryan Trottier and Tom Barrasso. He also was the one who drafted the now faces of the franchise Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury.

Penguins former superstar and now owner Mario Lemieux said it was partly because of the club losing key players such as Marian Hossa, Ryan Malone and Ty Conklin, many of which were key factors in the Penguins sucessfull playoff run.

Word has it that the Penguins have been working on legendary Scotty Bowman, but the hopes are quite bleak. Jason Skyland, a former teamate of Mario Lemieux, said when he offered him the two posistions, he declined saying he was thinking of becoming a general manager for another team. Yet he did give Mario Lemieux another option, his younger brother Nick Skyland. Both were NHL players, yet Nick played under his brother's huge shadow.

Later that week, Nick Skyland accepted the offer. One of the youngest general manger at a mere 28 years of age, spome of the players including star defensemen Sergei Gonchar is older than his now head coach. Skyland was quoted saying: "This franchise has so much potential, so it'll be my job to make sure they exert all their skills. I'm going to build this team into a team like the 2001 Colorado Avalanche" he said. The Avalanche in 2001 boasted legendary goaltender Patrick Roy, legend defensemen Raymond Bourque, star defensemen Rob Blake and Adam Foote, forwards such as Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Alex Tanguay and Chris Drury.

Advertisements - Register to remove