Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #182
rudyjuly2
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: New Madden NFL 10 blog post - QB improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I liked the vision cone a lot, but yeah, it doesn't, in and of itself, decide whether Madden is "sim" or not. The same effect can be simulated in a number of ways, which we've had endless discussion about.

The biggest problem with the sim argument is that we want to, for the most part, retain control. In most cases, more control = less sim, and vica virca. By putting the function of the vision cone (to make smart, experienced QBs commensurately better than their lesser counterparts) under the hood, you make the game "more sim" by taking control away from the player.

The nice thing about the vision cone is that it struck a good balance between sim and control. However, it was probably too much control as it made the player's job more difficult, and often frustrating. Much as I liked it, I'd rather see something less intrusive.
I agree. I didn't like the look of the field with it in the short time I tried it. I'd prefer trying another method to tackle the same thing. The problem isn't just the QB though. Every player we use on offense and defense renders awareness useless. It's the nature of video game football.