View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #142
quietcool72
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

One thing I really noticed was the "fade out" between half innings. It's like the game is getting ready to go to commercial, and then cuts to black..and a few seconds later, the game comes back with the other team on the field and in position.

The cut to black- in a video game- is really akward IMHO. (However, it does remind me of the Sopranos series finale...but I digress.) It's just weird.

Nothing serious, of course, but a black "cutaway" to a commercial that doesn't exist just doesn't really work well in the video game presentation world. (Adding fake commercials probably wouldnt' be the answer either..) but the current "fade to black" is a really awkward presentation transition.

Also, some of you have asked if the "forced fielder slow-down" is in the retail game like it was in the demo. Yes it is, and it seems to be very selective on the part of the AI. Thankfully, I've only seen it with fly balls (not grounders) ..but even at that, it has cost me some hits. When that happens, its usually because the outfielder was having to haul butt to get to the ball-landing icon, and it's going to be close... but the game forces him into a slow jog as he gets within five feet of the ball-icon. That is often the difference between making the catch and extra bases for the baserunner. Happened twice (for me) in my game. I'm wondering if forcing that fielder into a dive cancels that out.