View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #147
JT30
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
I'm very concerned about fielding in this game. I saw about 5-6 rather head-scratching fielding problems in my first game. Needless to say, it was only one game, but having 5 such anomalies in one game isn't a good sign.

Example 1... had an Oriole player in a run down between 2nd base & A-Rod. The runner committed to 3rd and I got the ball to A-Rod very early. A Rod caught the ball cleanly and the runner ran(clipped) through A-Rod While A-Rod made no attempt to touch him with the ball. No attempt at tag, no collision despite the player's 3D mass going through one-side of A-Rod and out the other. It seems like there's no baserunner-fielder collision detection whatsoever (other than with the catcher), so I'm wondering if there's no hook slides this year that take out fielders on the bag?

Example 2....
My right fielder stood under a routine fly ball. He was on the icon to catch the pop up... and yet the ball fell harmlessly through his shoulder without him so much as raising his glove to try to catch it. Cost me a triple. I saw this happen to the AI too at least twice, where they are in good position, but make no attempt at a catch.

Example 3....
I can cite about 4 incidents of my 1st baseman simply stepping his toe off of the bag while catching routine throws to first for what should have been easy outs. Sometimes it didn't even look like his foot was at all off the bag, but the ump called safe each time. This was extremely frustrating as it happened three times in a row in the 11th inning on routine grounders where Jeter would field the ball, and my second baseman would simply take a step towards the accurate throw towards him, and leave his foot off the bag by an inch or less. It loaded the bases on 3 infield grounders. I was not a happy camper. I can understand this if I threw wild & high at him and he had to jump off the bag to make the catch, but that wasn't the case. He'd just step off? Perhaps that's the penalty for not throwing a perfect "in the green" throw (in terms of the meter) but the throw was to the 1st baseman's glove.

Example 4....
I got greedy on the basepaths and started to send everyone home on a warning track shot. Damon headed from 3rd to home, and another baserunner headed from 2nd to third. This was a mistake on my part because the AI recovered quickly and got the ball to 3rd. I panic and send everyone back (dumb) and my runner heading back to 2nd gets tagged out, and Damon is in no-mans land between 3rd & home. At this point, I say the hell with it and send Damon home anyway and try to take out the catcher and jar the ball lose. I fail, AI gets a double play. That should of been the 3rd out. However... I notice I have another at bat after the play, and Damon is back on 3rd like nothing happened? Its as if he went back in time and never got tagged out by the catcher. That's kinda big.

Now, I don't mean to go all "Simon Cowell" on the game after one sitting and one complete game, but that's a disturbing amount of "technical mess things" to happen in my one and only hour with the game. More later today (after work)
Wow this sounds great