View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 05:43 AM   #835
jobalo85
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Ok, I just spent the night playing both 2K9 (mine) and my friend's MLB the Show. Both for PS3 obviously. I played 2K7 and last year I played the Show (I played 2K8 too, but not long), so my opinion shouldn't be too biased as of right now. After playing the demos I went in thinking these games would be pretty even. I played 4 games of 2K9 and 3 games of The Show...here are my thoughts...

Gameplay: This is the most important part to any game, IMO. Its a game where in franchise mode, I have to be intrigued to play 162+ games to get my money's worth. Both games were pretty solid in the hits variety department. The Show seemed to have the same as last year, but I think I can say 2K9 improved. As for the pitch counts and stats, both were pretty realistic, here are some results:

2K9 - 4-2, 6-5, 11-8, 3-1 (pretty good variety)
Show - 7-3, 6-4, 2-1 (pretty good)

Stats were pretty good, that 11 point game in 2K had a monster game from A-Rod (2 HR - 6 RBI), but he is one of the best right? Fielding seemed to be smoother in the Show and definitely less errors. In 2K, I had an error a game and the CPU had 1-2 errors a game. The Show barely had any. I did have the 1B come off his bag once in the 4 games which is annoying but it only happened once. One thing I can't stand about the Show is that you still just press X to hit...its too simple and I love 2K's swing stick. It gives you a real hitter's feel to it. As for base running, 2K's is more advanced but takes some getting used to, I found myself hitting the wrong button constantly (keep in mind I was playing The Show too which probably didn't help). But I prefer 2K's. All in all, as long as 2K fixes some problems via patch, I prefer there gameplay...the 1B bag thing would be fine if it happened once in like 12 games, but the ball going through the outfielder is monumental. Btw, I played on All Star for this with no sliders...

Presentation: This is hands down 2K's best feature. Gary Thorne and Steve Phillips are amazing and they will even stop and go with some conversations throughout the game. Its a good one-two punch for the mic. In the Show its still just Matt with a 'chime-in' from the others, its kind of monotone. 2K once again triumphs with the signature styles...I played with the same teams with 2K and the Show and I'll tell you the Show had only 2-3 Cleveland Indians down close when it came to hitting. 2K actually has walk-ups that is very nice and unique. The Show has nicely polished cut-scenes are they are ahead of 2K's, but the Show kept puting up wrong stats for players, bugged me a little. I can't get over the Show's horrible player models either...why does everyone have broad shoulders? How can they not fix that, its very bad if you have a big screen TV. 2K obviously looks more realistic (except for the faces), and the real-time gameplay with the field and the clouds is implemented amazingly. Presentation goes to 2K by a mile here.

Simulation Reality: I continued to sim through 30 games, 2K started to worry me here as Adam Dunn had 16 HRs through 34 games. I guess as long as a cold spell ensues its ok, but he was pretty much on pace for 70+. The next closest was A-Rod with 10 HRs. The Show was good with Scott Rolen with 11 HRs, weird player to be there but I guess realistic number. BA was good in both, through 30 games, Pedroia (2K) led with .372 and Pujols (Show) led with .381. The best record was the Angels in both games, 21-9 (The SHow) and 19-12 (2K)...Show worried me here as the Rockies were only 5-23, 2K's worst team was 11-27 (Nationals).

Tested out a Fantasy Draft in each game too...for you people that rely on this, I didn't like it for either game as nothing was realistic. I'll start off with the Show where the Oakland A's drafted 4 Aces and had 8 total starting quality pitchers, they also had 3 closers, needless to say they didn't have a single impact bat in their lineup. Other teams were vice versa, like the Blue Jays who had 6 great batters and their Ace was Brett Myers and their second starter was Scot Olsen and then 3 minor leaguers behind them. Not realistic at all (unless ur the 2008 Orioles, ). Honestly, 2K wasn't any better in this department, the Cardinals had an amazing lineup and their ace was Jo-Jo Reyes (good luck with that) and the White Sox had great starters/pitching while the best bat in their lineup was Nick Swisher.

Game Overall: I have to give this year's nods to 2K9 so far, even with the issues. The Show seems like too much of a repeat of last year's and I can see a lot of people getting bored with it quickly, especially if they are franchise players (which is the only thing I do). Obviously its different if you do the whole 'road to the show' thing. Another thing that bugs me is The Show takes tons of pride in having the 40 Man roster thing but they only go as deep as double A in the minors. Hopefully, 2k9 will patch things up in a few weeks and this game will undoubtedly be my choice for this year. The Show is still a great game and has the polish without the patches, but I don't see a dramatic improvement from last years, like 2K9. Keep in mind, I only played a few games for each the Show and 2K9...my observations can be scured beyond those games.

NOTE: I have no experience in online play, so I have no idea about the quality there.

NOTE: Chien Mang Wang got a broken nose in 2K's second game and was out 3-6 weeks by getting hit by a line drive. The Show still doesn't have any pitcher reactions and the ball goes through the pitcher sometimes. The Show did have Cliff Lee strain his shoulder, he was out for 1 week.

I think the people with the XBox should be pleased to get 2K9 as its not a stretch (IMO) from the Show, atleast when it comes to gameplay and franchise. IMO, 2k9 is better so far...
Advertisements - Register to remove