Old 03-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #82
Trevytrev11
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat
...and from a 'casual' standpoint, I like that the cpu doesn't let a strike arbitrarily go by (ie: 1st pitch strikes). I've never understood why, when most pitchers throw strikes on the first pitch, more batters don't exploit this. If I want a strikeout, I have to really work for it (9 games in) by throwing some balls to set up strikes, I have 25 K's now in 9 games (yeah, 3K's per game is low...I'm still learning).
Just because a pitch is a strike doesn't neceassarily mean it's a good pitch to hit. Most pitchers don't just toss fastballs down the middle on their first pitch and then batters just take that pitch. They attack the edges of the zone because they know hitters are looking for a pitch they can drive, which is usually something over the heart or middle of the plate.

There are hitters who will take 99% of the time regardless of the pitch and location and there are some that will swing at almost anything, but most hitters go up and look for a pitch in a location to drive when the count is even or in their favor (approach changes when they have two strikes)..most hitters hit fastballs better than any other pitch (it's straighter) and therefore more often than not will sit on that pitch when the count is even or in their favor. If they get it on the first pitch, they will jump on it, but if it is something else, they will lay off. This is what the game does not do. They will swing at bad strikes because it's a strike instead of because it's a pitch to drive.

Hopefully that makes sense...A slider at the knee's on the corner is a pitchers pitch because it's tough for the hitter to hit solid. It's not a pitch many guys can drive on a regular basis. So why would a hitter continue to swing at that pitch?

I don't think strikeouts is the issue...the hitters swing and miss. It's the fact that they swing at everything and every count, which makes pitch counts and the batter vs. pitcher experience unrealistic.