View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #54
TheWatcher
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: EA’s NFL license exclusivity in danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
And there's no problem with that. In the end there was a lot wrong with the game. It did a lot right too, which even stand out two years later. I just disagreed with your inferring that APF is essentially what they would come up with if they were making an NFL game. Not that it's a horrible thing, because I've said for a while that if you add NFL teams and players to APF (along w/corresponding sig styles/attention to detail) the game becomes a lot more appealing. I think in approaching these games there needs to be realistic expectations. I'm not sure what will become of this lawsuit, but if for some magical reason exclusivity was lifted and 2K could make a game, I'm sure many would be trying to make a direct comparison to a 1st/2nd year effort to what will be Tiburon's 5th yr next gen effort. It's just how people think. While direct comparisons are understandable, people should have the ability to consider that there are caveats and it isn't a level playing field
I'm pretty sure had this been an NFL game they would've alotted a longer development time and some of the more ummmm... interesting stuff they did with APF would've never made it into the game. But whether it meant that the lack of polish would've been rectified is anybodies guess. After all, Tiburon's been making Madden all gen and that game lacks all kinds of polish so it's hard to tell what the outcome would've been. I see some polish issues with the 2K Sports games this generation that have kinda been at least partially eye-brow raising although not exactly game killing.

About the comparisons... It's a tough thing because on one end when you consider how weak Madden's been you kinda want to be able to have the 2K game come in and knock it silly. But then on the other hand you know deep down that comparing a game that's been developed every year of the generation (Madden) is going to be ahead in a number of ways over one that hasn't (2K Football). We're in a really weird place right now, lol.

I really expected APF (and now looking back probably unfairly) to pick up where 2K5 left off. Some say it did, I don't myself because I don't get the same feeling playing APF as I still do playing 2K5... and I like to play with created teams a lot on 2K5 (My Arizona Vipers cannot be stopped) so you know it's not just the NFL thing for me!