Old 03-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #1015
The Gamer
Rookie

The Gamer's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by kGinGreen
I honestly dont think people realize there is this thing in this game called sliders and Inside Edge. Use them. If you throw pitches in a hitters hot zone he is going to swing. I honestly don't think people have put 2 and 2 together here. Throw in the cold zones and the chase zones and see what happens. Throw pitch types that each batter has trouble hitting and see what happens. Use your pitchers stronger pitches. It's an amazing thing.

This game has something called depth to it which I'm not sure people understand which is too bad. Don't max out the throw meters and maybe you won't pull the first baseman off the bag? Throw in the green. Set your feet. Make slight adjustments from there depending on the play. If you need a flip, flip it. If you need a little extra give it a little extra. Get in the area to make a play and let the AI help you get in position. Don't go nuts on the sticks. Hit the button if you need a little extra to get there. Hold it to make a bigger player. Use the right bumper to block homeplate and make a tag. When at bat work the count. Take a pitch or two and wait for a pitch to hit. Adjust sliders accordingly. I know it makes way too much sense. This game is a lot of fun if you can get a hang of the basics and look past some of the shortcomings.

This game is not as broken as people are making it out to be. Yeah there are framerate hiccups and glitches. Yes the graphics are a bit dated and washed out although 2k did up the animations big time. Yeah the way IE is integrated is poor and I don't think a lot of people even know how to use it. There should be a better way to see these things without having to bring up the window every at bat. But it's second nature once you get the hang of it. Turning on IE K Zone and getting some good sliders changed this game for me.

Great post buddy!! I actually learned something new in this post. I wasn't aware that you had to hit the right bumper to block the plate. That's good information. You are correct, this game does have depth if you know how to play it. I had been thinking about the setting your feet aspect, but just never really knew how to explain the issue. I knew there was something that needed to be explained. Just last night while playing, after an out, and just throwing the ball around from the outfield, I noticed that if I didn't let the player "set" themselves, I'd have the big wind up then a slow toss. But then I would start letting the player catch the ball relax for a split second and drop the hands and then throw, it would be a normal looking throw.

As far as the video that is circulating around the web with the runner going to third, missing the bag and then diving out of play. It is clearly the user continuously pushing the triggers too quickly and not letting the animation play out. The game doesn't have a chance to catch up to the commands and so it looks jacked up. Just another case of someone trying to break the game and find a gamekiller.

SecondACR Vet

Follow me on Twitch

https://www.twitch.tv/bhoward1968

Follow me on X

BradHowardSr

Last edited by The Gamer; 03-10-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove