View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
PGaither84
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Noteworthy: New NFL Rules this season

Big hits are part of the game, but this is also a big moeny sport and safty is a concern. I don't mind a lot of the rules that protec a QB because defenses ADMIT they would ALWAYS try and take any cheep shot at a QB they can JUST BECASE he is the QB.

When the Patriots played the Rams in the Superbowl, Teddy Bruschi said thier stratagy was simple. "Hit them when they have the ball, and hit them when they don't." NFL films shows al the different times Patriots would take a hard, but safe hit *not going for head and neck* of the Rams players any legal chance they got. They beat them up and wore them down.

However, many defenders over the years always used this philisophy ONLY on QBs and TIRED to go for neck and head with the INTENT of injuring the QB. That is wrong. Roughing the passer is a touchy call. I think hat many times the refs don't "let them play," but when players make deliberate hits on a guy JUST for the sake of hitting him after the ball is thrown is also poor sportsmanship in my opinion.

Regarding this rule about going for a QB's legs though.. i'm not sure how I feel about this one. The Brady Hit adn the Carson Palmer hit are flukes, they happen. But I also like the idea that if you are going to sack the QB, you should od it while standing/diving for the sack. Again, it's tough butI don't hate it.