Old 03-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Fetter21
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30
Direct TV and NFL Extend Contract to 2014

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123786503490122053.html
Quote:
According to a person with knowledge of the deal, the contract calls for payments of $1 billion a year for the 2011-14 seasons. That is a 43% increase on an annual basis over the current five-year deal, in which DirecTV pays the NFL about $700 million a year for the exclusive right to sell the Sunday Ticket package. That package allows fans to see every NFL game on Sundays, as opposed to simply the games shown on local broadcast channels.
Quote:
However, the new deal chips away at DirecTV's exclusivity when it comes to out-of-market games. The agreement with the El Segundo, Calif., company allows the NFL for the first time to pursue deals with cable operators and Internet providers to offer subscribers the Red Zone Channel, which provides cut-ins to the crucial moments of NFL games. In addition, cable subscribers living in areas where satellite service isn't available will be able to buy the full Sunday Ticket package over the Internet.
Unfortunate for those of us without Direct TV, but not surprising in the least. It is cool that the redzone channel could be available to others though, I'll be curious to see how much that costs.

One thing I thought I saw in another article the other day, but couldn't find this morning was, that by the 2012 season they plan on having an online subscription available even to people who live in areas where they can get Direct TV. Which would be nice.
Advertisements - Register to remove